Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows won the box office battle, but Hollywood is taking another hit in the war of lowered box office receipts. The latest Robert Downey run at playing the iconic sleuth debuted to $40 million in sales, off 36-percent from the original film’s $62.3 million bow.
Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked slid into second with just over $23 million, but it was a situation of: Another sequel, same problem. Chipwrecked’s debut was half that of each of the first two Chipmunks films.
Tom Cruise should be encouraged as his latest Mission Impossible film finished third, although it only opened on IMAX screens. Ghost Protocol made $13 million and look for that figure to skyrocket when it opens wide December 21, especially with such good reviews for Ghost Protocol.
The fop five was filled out with last week’s number one, New Year’s Eve, coming in fourth with $7.4 million and fifth place belonged to Jonah Hill and The Sitter, adding another $4.4 million to its total.
Box office top 10:
1. Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows, $40 million
2. Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked, $23.5 million
3. Mission: Impossible — Ghost Protocol, $13 million
4. New Year's Eve, $7.4 million
5. The Sitter, $4.4 million
6. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn — Part 1, $4.3 million
7. Young Adult, $3.7 million
8. Hugo, $3.63 million
9. Arthur Christmas, $3.6 million
10. The Muppets, $3.5 million