Regular folk like you and I may not realize just how much of a film's budget can be devoted to landing a big-name actor to give the billboard some star-power. But that investment does not always produce the desired returns. Forbes has released its annual list of the most overpaid actors, calculating a film's gross versus the star's salary, for their last three films over the last three years.
At the very top of the list is Eddie Murphy. The comedic actor who enjoyed loads of success in the 1980s with films like Trading Places, Beverly Hills Cop, and Coming to America, has produced a string of flops lately, despite his enormous star power. Murphy's last three films earned studios only $2.30 for every dollar he was paid.
Second on the list is the moderately-maligned queen of rom-com, Katherine Heigl, whose last film, One for the Money, earned just $37 million on a budget of $40 million. Heigl's last three films grossed just $3.40 for every dollar she was paid.
Check out the full of the top 10 most overpaid actors below.
1. Eddie Murphy: $2.30 film gross per $1 paid.
2. Katherine Heigl: $3.40 film gross per $1 paid.
3. Reese Witherspoon: $3.90 film gross per $1 paid.
4. Sandra Bullock: $5 film gross per $1 paid.
5. Jack Black: $5.20 film gross per $1 paid.
6. Nicolas Cage: $6 film gross per $1 paid
7. Adam Sandler: $6.30 film gross per $1 paid.
8. Denzel Washington: $6.30 film gross per $1 paid.
9. Ben Stiller: $6.50 film gross per $1 paid.
10. Sarah Jessica Parker: $7 film gross per $1 paid.