A Good Day to Die Hard became a Good Weekend to Die Hard as the fifth installment of the action series took the #1 spot at the weekend box office. Bruce Willis, Jai Courtney, Sebastian Koch, and Yuliya Snigir star in the film, which earned $25 million in its opening weekend.
Identity Thief drops from first to second in its second weekend in theaters. The Jason Bateman/Melissa McCarthy comedy brought in $23.4 million for a total of $70.7 million.
Coming in third place is another new film, the Nicholas Sparks adaptation Safe Haven. Julianne Hough and Josh Duhamel star in the romance, which took in $21.4 million.
Escape from Planet Earth and Warm Bodies round out the top five. The two films earned $16.1 million and $9 million, respeciviely.
Box office Top 10:
1. A Good Day to Die Hard, $25 million
2. Identity Thief, $23.4 million
3. Safe Haven, $21.4 million
4. Escape from Planet Earth, $16.1 million
5. Warm Bodies, $9 million
6. Beautiful Creatures, $7.5 million
7. Side Effects, $6.3 million
8. Silver Linings Playbook, $6.1 million
9. Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters, $3.5 million
10. Zero Dark Thirty, $3.1 million