After a strong Thursday night showing, Man of Steel continued on to a record-breaking weekend. The Superman reboot earned $113.1 million over the 3 day period, with a total of $125 million, including the Thursday night preview screenings.
These numbers mark a record for a June opening, beating Toy Story 3's $110 million premiere weekend back in 2010.
This is the End came in a very distant second, taking in $20.5 million. Seth Rogen's apocalyptic comedy has earned a total of $32.8 million since its Wednesday premiere.
Remaining in 3rd place from last week is Now You See Me. The magic-themed thriller grossed an added $10.3 million for a total of $80 million.
Fast and Furious 6 and The Purge round out the Top 5. The action sixquel and the horror/thriller earned $9.4 million and $8.2 million, respectively.
Box office top 10:
1. Man of Steel, $113.1 million
2. This is the End, $20.5 million
3. Now You See Me, $10.3 million
4. Fast and Furiuous 6, $9.4 million
5. The Purge, $8.2 million
6. The Internship, $7 million
7. Epic, $6 million
8. Star Trek Into Darkness, $5.7 million
9. After Earth, $3.8 million
10. Iron Man 3, $2.9 million