The boy band did it and conquered the world of movies as One Direction: This Is Us won the weekend box office. The final weekend of the summer movie season belonged to the UK X Factor cast-offs as they took in an impressive $17 million to knock off the box office champ of the last two weeks, The Butler. Lee Daniels’ based-on-a-true-story civil rights chronicle took second, adding another $14.7 million to its haul.
The Butler has now made $74 million!
We’re the Millers continues its impressive run by coming in third. The Jennifer Aniston as a stripper comedy made another $12.6 million to cross the one hundred million mark… specifically $109.5 million
Fourth place belonged to Disney’s Planes, which proved to be kind of a surprise hit with its Labor Day weekend take of $7.8 million. The Cars spin-off has now made a total of $70.8 million.
Closing out the top five was a surprise entry, the Latino family heart-warmer Instructions Not Included. The film’s first week sat at $7.5 million.
Box office top 10:
1. One Direction: This Is Us, $17 million
2. The Butler, $14.7 million
3. We’re the Millers, $12.6 million
4. Planes, $7.8 million
5. Instructions Not Included, $7.5 million
6. Elysium, $6.3 million
7. The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones, $5.2 million
8. The World’s End, $4.8 million
9. Getaway, $4.5 million
10. Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters, $4.4 million