Lone Survivor, riding a wave of fantastic reviews (check out our five-star Lone Survivor review), landed atop the weekend box office chart and dominated with an opening weekend gross of $38.5 million.
That was over twice as much as the second place film, Frozen. The Disney instant classic, who just announced its Frozen DVD release date and bonus features, earned $15.1 million -- taking its total to $317.7 million.
Third place belonged to the fifth collaboration between Martin Scorsese and Leonardo DiCaprio. Their The Wolf of Wall Street took in $9 million, taking its total to over $78 million. Fourth place found a tie, with both American Hustle and new to theaters The Legend of Hercules earning $8.6 million.
Closing out the top five was The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. The former three-time box office champ made just over $8 million in its fifth week of release.
Box office Top 10:
1. Lone Survivor, $38.5 million
2. Frozen, $15.1 million
3. The Wolf of Wall Street, $9 million
4. American Hustle, $8.6 million
4. The Legend of Hercules, $8.6 million
5. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, $8 million
6. August: Osage County, $7.3 million
7. Saving Mr. Banks, $6.6 million
8. Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones, $6.3 million
9. Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues: $6.1 million
10. Her, $5.4 million
Want more good stuff like this?
Sign up for our daily newsletter and receive the latest movie news delivered to your inbox for free!