Are you a Movie Fanatic?
Sign up for our daily newsletter to receive personalized movie news for free!
Col. Jessep: You want answers?
Kaffee: I think I'm entitled to them.
Col. Jessep: You want answers?
Kaffee: I want the truth!
Col. Jessep: You can't handle the truth!
- Permalink: You can't handle the truth!
Lt. Weinberg: You've heard her. The girl sat here, pointed and said, "Pa." She did. She said, "Pa."
Kaffee: She was pointing at a mailbox, Sam. Lt. Weinberg: That's right. She was pointing as if to say, "Pa, look, a mailbox."
- Permalink: That's right. She was pointing as if to say, "Pa, look, a mailbox."
Oh, now I see what you're saying. It had to be Professor Plum in the Library with the candlestick.Kaffee
- Permalink: Oh, now I see what you're saying. It had to be Professor Plum i...
Wait a minute, Tom, don't get the President just yet. Maybe we should consider this a second. Dismissed, Tom. Maybe, and I'm just spit balling here, maybe, we have a responsibility as officers to traing Santiago. Maybe we as officers have a responsibility to this country to see to it that the men and women charged with its security are trained professionals. Yes, I'm certain I remember reading that somewhere once. And now I'm thinking,Col. Markinson, that your suggestion of transferring Santiago, while expeditious and certainly painless, might not be, in a matter of speaking, the American way. Santiago stays where he is. We're gonna train the lad!Col. Jessep
- Permalink: Wait a minute, Tom, don't get the President just yet. Maybe we ...
Walk softly and carry an armored tank division, I always say.Col. Jessep
- Permalink: Walk softly and carry an armored tank division, I always say.
Kaffee: Did you talk to your friend at the NIS?
Lt. Weinberg: Yeah, he said if Markinson doesn't want to be found, we're not gonna find him. He said I could be Markinson and you wouldn't even know.
Kaffee: Are you Markinson?
Lt. Weinberg: No.
Kaffee: I'm not Markinson... that's two.
- Permalink: Did you talk to your friend at the NIS? Yeah, he said if Mark...
Col. Jessep: I'd appreciate it if he would address me as "Colonel" or "Sir"... I believe I've earned it.
Judge Randolph: Counsel will refer to the witness as "Colonel" or "Sir."
Col. Jessep: I don't know what the hell kind of unit you're running here.
Judge Randolph: And you will refer to this court as "Your Honor" or "Judge"... and I'm quite certain I've earned it. Take your seat, Colonel.
- Permalink: I'd appreciate it if he would address me as Colonel or Sir... I...
Col. Jessep: You fuckin' people. You have no idea how to defend a nation. All you did was weaken a country today, Kaffee. That's all you did. You put people's lives in danger. Sweet dreams, son.
Kaffee: Don't call me son. I'm a lawyer and an officer in the United States Navy. And you're under arrest, you son of a bitch.
- Permalink: You f**kin' people. You have no idea how to defend a nation. Al...
Capt. Ross: Who is this?
Kaffee: She's Joe Galloway. She's Downey's attorney. She's very pleased to meet you.
- Permalink: Who is this? She's Joe Galloway. She's Downey's attorney. She...
Kaffee: It was oregano, Dave, it was a dime bag of oregano.
Lieutenant Dave Spradling: Yeah, well, your client thought it was marijuana.
Kaffee: My client's a moron, that's not against the law.
Lieutenant Dave Spradling: I got people to answer to just like you do. I'm gonna charge him.
Kaffee: With what, possession of a condiment?
- Permalink: It was oregano, Dave, it was a dime bag of oregano. Yeah, wel...
Lt. Kendrick: I have two books at my bedside, Lieutenant: the Marine Corps Code of Conduct and the King James Bible. The only proper authorities I am aware of are my commanding officer, Colonel Nathan R. Jessep, and the Lord our God.
- Permalink: the Marine Corps Code of Conduct and the King James Bible. The ...
So this is what a courtroom looks like.Kaffee
- Permalink: So this is what a courtroom looks like.