Speed Racer, which opens on May 9, is targeting a G rating, reports Comingsoon.net and Variety. Need proof? Just check out the marketing deals the studio has lined up as promotional partners.
"You have to open big," producer Joel Silver said of Speed Racer says. "You have to let them know you're out there. The only way to make a lot of noise is to have people shout from the rooftops. ('Speed Racer') was an opportunity to do something we've never done before."
The marketing line-up includes:
- General Mills stamping Speed Racer imagery on packaging of its cereals and other brands like Betty Crocker cookie mixes, Old El Paso Mexican foods and Fruit Gushers.
- LEGO creating four playsets based around the film.
- Target, which rarely does film promotions, coming aboard as the pic's official retail partner and, in addition to in-store ads and circulars, offering a gift card that enables consumers to access exclusive footage from the film;
- Puma designing Speed Racer-themed shoes;
- McDonald's offering separate Happy Meals for boys and girls.