The Chris Evans flick earned an estimated $65.8 million, opening in 3,715 theaters. It just beat Marvel's Thor, which opened at $65.7 million.
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 dropped into second place with a huge 72% drop from last weekend. Although the film wound up in second place, it still added an additional $48.1 million for a domestic total of $274.2 million.
The Justin Timberlake, Mila Kunis R-rated comedy Friends with Benefits rounded out the top 3 with $18.5 million. It did almost as well as the similar comedy No Strings Attached, starring Ashton Kutcher and Natalie Portman, which brought in $19.6 million in January. Although Friends with Benefits opened with some much tougher competition during the summer blockbuster season, which could account for the lower numbers.
Here are the top 5 films at the weekend box office:
- Captain America: The First Avenger - $65,827,000
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 - $48,065,000
- Friends with Benefits - $18,500,000
- Transformers: Dark of the Moon - $12,000,000
- Horrible Bosses - $11,720,000