The Devil Inside scared up some serious box office love as the Paramount horror flick took the top spot at the box office. The exorcism movie took in $34.5 million to get 2012 off to a great start, bucking 2011’s box office blues. This first weekend of 2012 saw ticket sales up almost 30 percent over the same period last year.
What else Devil Inside did is finally knock off Tom Cruise and his Ghost Protocol. The fourth Mission Impossible film had been number one for two straight weeks and in its third week of release, banked $20.5 million. Ghost Protocol has now earned over $170 million.
Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows finished in third place with $14.1 million followed by The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, that added another $11.3 million bringing its total to $76.8 million in one month of release.
Closing out the top five is the third Alvin and the Chipmunks film, Chipwrecked. Alvin and the boys took in $9.5 million, taking its total to $111.6 million. And we wonder why they keep making Chipmunk movies?!
The box office top 10:
1. The Devil Inside, $34.5 million
2. Mission: Impossible: Ghost Protocol, $20.5 million
3. Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows, $14 million
4. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, $11.3 million
5. Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked, $9.5 million
6. War Horse, $8.6 million
7. We Bought a Zoo, $8.5 million
8. The Adventures of Tintin, $6.6 million
9. Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, $5.8 million
10. New Year’s Eve, $3.3 million