The unknown actors of Chronicle and their first-time director edged out the superstar that is Daniel Radcliffe in The Woman in Black and won the box office. The Super Bowl weekend box office saw Chronicle earn $22 million to The Woman in Black’s $21 million.
Last week’s box office winner, The Grey with Liam Neeson, took third. The film banked $9.5 million in its second week of release -- bringing its domestic total to $34.8 million. Coming in fourth place is the third film debut of the weekend, the true story Big Miracle. The Drew Barrymore and John Krasinski film made $8.5 million in its first weekend.
Rounding out the top five was Kate Beckinsale’s return as Selene in Underworld: Awakening. The film added $5.6 million to its total of $53.9 million.
Box office top 10:
1. Chronicle, $22 million
2. The Woman in Black, $21 million
3. The Grey, $9.5 million
4. Big Miracle, $8.5 million
5. Underworld: Awakening, $5.6 million
6. One for the Money, $5.3 million
7. Red Tails, $5 million
8. The Descendants, $4.6 million
9. Man on a Ledge, $4.5 million
10. Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close, $3.9 million