Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted did it again and knocked out two new high profile films in the process to take the box office title for a second week in a row.
Both Tom Cruise’s Rock of Ages and Adam Sandler’s That’s My Boy failed to topple last week’s champion, and even failed to unseat last week’s number two. Prometheus repeated as box office runner-up for the second consecutive weekend. The Ridley Scott-directed film earned another $20.2 million to bring its domestic total to $88.8 million. Meanwhile the box office titan, Madagascar 3, banked $35.5 million. Its total has now reached $120.4 million.
Rock of Ages landed in third to lead the way for the weekend’s new movies. The Adam Shankman-directed musical earned $15 million in its first week of release. Snow White and the Huntsman, not Sandler’s latest comedy, took fourth with $13.8 million. Snow White’s total gross is now $122.6 million.
Sandler has to be disappointed with his film, That’s My Boy, and its first weekend gross of $13 million, plus its fifth place finish.
Box office top 10:
1. Madagascar 3, $35.5 million
2. Prometheus, $20.2 million
3. Rock of Ages, $15 million
4. Snow White and the Huntsman, $13.8 million
5. That’s My Boy, $13 million
6. Men in Black 3, $10 million
7. The Avengers, $8.8 million
8. Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, $2.2 million
9. Moonrise Kingdom, $2.2 million
10. What to Expect When You’re Expecting, $1.3 million