In the end, it was a foul-mouthed teddy bear that had more money thrown at it than Channing Tatum in a G-string. Seth MacFarlane and his Ted scored $54.1 million to Magic Mike’s $39.2 million to win the weekend before the holiday weekend box office battle.
Last week’s number one, Pixar’s Brave, came in third, adding another $34 million to its take that has topped a total of $131 million. Tyler Perry continued to show why he is among the most profitable filmmakers in Hollywood as his Madea’s Witness Protection came in fourth with $26.4 million. Closing out the top five was Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted. The DreamWorks Animation movie made $11.8 million, bringing its total to an astounding $180 million.
Movie Fanatic enjoyed both of the top two films, but our Ted review edged out Tatum and our Magic Mike review by half a star. At the box office, the two films were separated by about $15 million.
Box office top 10:
1. Ted, $54.1 million
2. Magic Mike, $39.2 million
3. Brave, $34 million
4. Madea’s Witness Protection, $26.4 million
5. Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted, $11.8 million
6. Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, $6 million
7. Prometheus, $4.9 million
8. Moonrise Kingdom, $4.87 million
9. Snow White and the Huntsman, $4.4 million
10. People Like Us, $4.3 million