After three weeks on top and a total $390 million in domestic gross, The Dark Knight Rises yielded to a new number at the box office this weekend, The Bourne Legacy.
The film that saw Jeremy Renner step in for Matt Damon impressed with its first weekend totals, although it would be the lowest first weekend earner of the four film series.
Will Ferrell and Zach Galifianakis’ political parody, The Campaign, did quite well for a summer comedy, taking in $27.4 million in its first weekend. Right behind that flick at number three was our previous box office titan, The Dark Knight Rises, which added another $19.5 million to its enormous box office total.
Meryl Streep and Tommy Lee Jones' romantic comedy for adults, Hope Springs, landed in fourth with a respectable $15.6 million, with the children’s movie Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days rounding out the top five, adding $8.2 million to its total take of $30.6 million.
Box office top 10:
1. The Bourne Legacy, $40.3 million
2. The Campaign, $27.4 million
3. The Dark Knight Rises, $19.5 million
4. Hope Springs $15.6 million
5. Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days, $8.2 million
6. Total Recall, $8.1 million
7. Ice Age: Continental Drift, $6.8 million
8. Ted, $3.3 million
9. Step Up Revolution, $2.9 million
10. The Watch, $2.2 million