The Expendables 2 made it two number one debuts in a row for the Sylvester Stallone-conceived franchise. The sequel to the 2010 smash banked $28.8 million in its first weekend in release, easily beating last week’s top film, The Bourne Legacy.
The Bourne Legacy came in second, adding another $17 million to its total haul of $68.6 million. ParaNorman, the latest film from the team that brought us Coraline, landed in third place with a solid $14 million.
Will Ferrell and Zach Galifianakis’ political parody, The Campaign, landed in fourth. The timely comedy earned $13.4 million, bringing its cume to $51.7 million.
Rounding out the top 10 is the late Whitney Houston’s final film, Sparkle. The remake of the 1970s classic took in $12 million in its first week of release.
Just outside the top five at number six is The Dark Knight Rises, whose $11.1 million brought it over the $400 million mark in domestic sales… specifically, the film has earned a whopping $409.9 million.
Box office top 10:
1. The Expendables 2, $28.8 million
2. The Bourne Legacy, $17 million
3. ParaNorman, $14 million
4. The Campaign, $13.4 million
5. Sparkle, $12 million
6. The Dark Knight Rises, $11.1 million
7. The Odd Life of Timothy Green, $10.9 million
8. Hope Springs, $9.1 million
9. Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days, $3.9 million
10. Total Recall, $3.5 million