Milla Jovovich and her zombie killers topped a beloved animated fish to win the box office. Resident Evil: Retribution scored $21.1 million in its first week of release. The fifth in the video-game-to-big-screen franchise failed to top the last incarnation as Resident Evil: Afterlife opened to $26 million.
Pixar’s 3D re-release of Finding Nemo did pretty well for a film that is over a decade old. The Albert Brooks-starring film banked $17.5 million in its first week of re-release.
The Possession, the former box office champ, added another $5.8 million to its take, bringing its total to $41.2 million. Lawless, the true story of the bootlegging brothers of the Depression, came in fourth with $4.2 million. Its total in three weeks of release is $30.1 million.
Closing out the top five is the stellar ParaNorman, with $3.039 million.
Box office top 10:
1. Resident Evil: Retribution, $21.1 million
2. Finding Nemo 3D, $17.5 million
3. The Possession, $5.8 million
4. Lawless, $4.2 million
5. ParaNorman, $3.039 million
6. The Expendables 2, $3.03 million
7. The Words, $2.9 million
8. The Bourne Legacy, $2.9 million
9. The Odd Life of Timothy Green, $2.5 million
10. The Campaign, $2.4 million