Lucy took care of business on and off the screen. Scarlett Johansson and Luc Besson’s triumphant return to directing, Lucy, landed in first place at the weekend box office with a stunning $44 million.
Lucy easily bested the Dwayne Johnson-starring Hercules, which landed in second with a $29 million haul. Third place belonged to the film that had won the last two box office weekends, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. Its $16.4 million brought its total to $172 million in three weeks.
Fourth on the box office charts was The Purge: Anarchy. The horror/thriller sequel banked another $9.9 million to take its cume to $51.3 million.
Closing out the top five was Planes: Fire & Rescue. The Disney flick took in $9.3 million.
Box office top 10:
1. Lucy, $44 million
2. Hercules, $29 million
3. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, $16.4 million
4. The Purge: Anarchy, $9.9 million
5. Planes: Fire & Rescue, $9.3 million
6. Sex Tape, $5.8 million
7. Transformers: Age of Extinction, $4.6 million
8. And So It Goes, $4.6 million
9. Tammy, $3.4 million
10. A Most Wanted Man, $2.7 million
Celebrate Lucy and check out our full Lucy gallery of awesomeness.