The Maze Runner made minced meat of the box office competition in its first week of release.
The film, based on the blockbuster YA novel, landed in first place with a stunning $32.5 million. That was way more than double the second place film, Liam Neeson’s A Walk Among the Tombstones, with its $13.1 million debut.
The ensemble dramedy This Is Where I Leave You debuted in third place with $11.8 million and should easily recoup the $20 million it cost to make. And it should also be noted that the film scored nicely with its $4,135 per location in ticket sales.
No Good Deed, last week’s number one movie, landed in fourth place, adding another $10.2 million to its total box office of $40.1 million.
Closing out the top five was Dolphin Tale 2 as the true story sequel made $9 million for a two-week total gross of $27 million.
Box Office Top 10:
1. The Maze Runner, $32.5 million
2. A Walk Among the Tombstones, $13.1 million
3. This Is Where I Leave You, $11.8 million
4. No Good Deed, $10.2 million
5. Dolphin Tale 2, $9 million
6. Guardians of the Galaxy, $5.2 million
7. Let’s Be Cops, $2.7 million
8. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, $2.6 million
9. The Drop, $2 million
10. If I Stay, $1.8 million