Christopher Nolan has always embraced the DVD and Blu-Ray format with great abandon, almost offering his own film master class with the bonus features. He also has a ball with the more technical aspects of a home video. With the announcement of the release date and extras for Interstellar today, his passion for it seems to have only expanded.
Paramount revealed that fans of the blockbuster hit from late 2014 can get their hands on it when Interstellar lands on Digital HD on March 17 and Blu-Ray combo pack, DVD and On Demand on March 31.
Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway, Michael Caine and Jessica Chastain star in a universe-spanning adventure that could not be timelier with the news of 2014 being the hottest year on record on planet Earth.
In Interstellar, Nolan has painted a picture of a planet that is on its last breaths. Humans must look to the stars for a new home and McConaughey and Hathaway have to leave their families behind and head out into the unknown for what could be decades to find a hospitable locale for man and womankind to continue.
Those Interstellar quotes are quite powerful too as the film shows the sacrifice that is needed at times to help the greater good.
As we stated in our Interstellar review, the visuals and sound effects are literally out of this world and that should be something that truly further impresses with the higher-def formats of home video.
Interstellar scored five Oscar nominations for Nolan’s work, mostly for technical categories, and that brilliance is explored in the many, many bonus features.
Interstellar Blu-Ray Bonus Features:
- The Science of Interstellar -- Extended cut of the broadcast special.
- Plotting an Interstellar Journey -- Discusses the film’s origins, influences and narrative designs.
- Life on Cooper’s Farm -- Bringing Americana and the grounded nature of a farm to a sci-fi space movie.
- The Dust -- Learn how cast and crew avoided sand blindness, and see how to create, and clean up after, a catastrophic dust storm.
- TARS and CASE -- Designing and building these unique characters and how they were brought to life on set and in the film.
- Cosmic Sounds -- The concepts, process, and recording of Hans Zimmer’s unforgettable score.
- The Space Suits -- A look at the design and build of the suits and helmets, and what it was like to wear them.
- The Endurance -- Explore this massive set with a guided tour by production designer Nathan Crowley.
- Shooting in Iceland: Miller’s Planet/Mann’s Planet -- Travel with the cast and crew to Iceland and see the challenges they faced in creating two vastly different worlds in one country.
- The Ranger and the Lander -- A look at the other two spaceships in the film.
- Miniatures in Space -- Marvel at the large-scale models used in the explosive docking sequence.
- The Simulation of Zero-G -- Discover the various methods that the filmmakers used to create a zero gravity environment.
- Celestial Landmarks -- Explore how the filmmakers used practical special effects informed by real scientific equations to give the illusion of real space travel for both the actors and the audience.
- Across All Dimensions and Time -- A look at the concept and design of the Tesseract, which incorporated a practical set rather than a green screen.
- Final Thoughts -- The cast and crew reflect back on their Interstellar experience.
- Theatrical Trailers