When is a winner a loser? Sure, Fifty Shades of Grey won the weekend box office for the second week in a row. But, it suffered a 73 percent drop in ticket sales that was hard to ignore. Fifty Shades of Grey made $23.2 million to bring its two week total to a whopping $130.1 million. That’ll get you a few sequels, even if EL James has to write them herself.
The top two were actually a rerun of last week’s box office with the Colin Firth-starring stunner Kingsman: The Secret Service taking in $17.5 million in its second week to bring its cume to $67.1 million. Hopefully that means we will get a sequel to the Matthew Vaughn-directed actioner.
Third place found The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water. The Nick and Paramount movie banked $15.5 million and now has earned a whopping $125 million since it opened.
Fourth is where we find our first new movie of the weekend, the inspiring McFarland USA. The Kevin Costner true tale debuted with $11.3 million, finishing just ahead of another new movie to cinemaplexes, The DUFF. The teen comedy earned $11 million in its opening frame.
Weekend Box Office Top 10:
1. Fifty Shades of Grey, $23.2 million
2. Kingsman: The Secret Service, $17.5 million
3. The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water, $15.5 million
4. McFarland, USA, $11.3 million
5. The DUFF, $11 million
6. American Sniper, $9.7 million
7. Hot Tub Time Machine 2, $5.8 million
8. Jupiter Ascending, $3.7 million
9. The Imitation Game, $2.6 million
10. Paddington, $2.3 million